Are you wondering how to restore Google Drive to previous date? Do you know that your wish of going back to the older versions of any document in Google Drive is now possible? Suppose you are the owner or editor of any doc file. In that case, you can quickly return to the previous versions of the file, irrespective of the changes that any other user or collaborator has made to that file.
If you don’t wish to go with the older version of any document or, say, your partner wishes to work with the newer version; you can quickly restore the files to their present version.
Google Drive automatically deletes previous versions of any file when it stays on the drive for more than 30 days or when about 100 versions of the same file exist. Do note that you may have extra storage for some versions that take up more space in Google Drive.
Got worried? Relax, for all the Google Drive files created with Google Sheets, Slides, or Docs, go back quickly to the older versions without you having to pay any penalty.
Ways to restore Google Drive to previous date
Some of the ways or better say certain steps that you can try to restore Google Drive versions or files to their previous dates are mentioned here.
- First of all, open the document file, presentation, or spreadsheet.
- Click on File and then choose See Revision History.
- You will see the Revision History getting opened up on the right side of the screen. This will be a compact list containing all the saved revisions along with the people who created them.
- Now, choose some older versions to make it appear onscreen.
- Select Restore this revision link so that you can go back to the version that you wanted.
- If you wish to revert to the most updated or recent version, open the Revision History again. Simply choose the version that you desire to use. Most probably, you will get the latest version located somewhere at the top.
And, your work will be done!
What are the steps to Upload a new version of a non-Google file to the Google Drive
After you have installed Google Drive for the desktop, follow these steps.
- Look for the non-Google file on your device.
- Click on Drive for Desktop.
- Now, choose Open Google Drive.
- Copy and then paste the file into a folder.
- The selected file will now automatically sync to the Drive on the web.
How Can You Revert Google Drive Files to Previous Version?
You can follow some steps here in order to get back the previous versions of Google Drive files and edit them as needed.
- Go to Google Drive and click on the file.
- Move your arrow to the top right corner. Click on More and then choose Manage Versions.
- Again, click on More and then on Download to download the file.
- To revert to an older version, select Upload New Version. Look for the version of the file that you wanted, and then click Open.
- Close the procedure by ultimately clicking on the Close button.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Does Google Drive save previous versions?
Google Drive has a track record of the version history of all the files that you upload on the app. But there is a limit to it, as Google Drive deletes all the older versions of the file whenever it crosses a period of 30 days or has undergone about 100 revisions.
2. How many versions does Google Drive keep?
Google Drive keeps about 100 versions in total.
3. How do i manage Google Drive versions?
We have mentioned the steps of managing Google Drive versions in the above section. Just follow that, and you will be good to go.
4. Can viewers on Google Docs see revision History?
Only those users having Edit access can view the entire revision history and the changes that their colleagues or collaborators have made through the revision history feature. In fact, they may even revert to the earlier versions of the file and can even view the persons who had made specific edits.
5. Where are the documents that you place on Google Drive stored?
All the files that are added to Google Drive are securely kept on servers in data centers. The data is stored with proper encryption in the Google servers.
You may like the following Google drive tutorials:
- How to Organize Google Drive?
- Google Drive Files Missing
- How to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
- Download quota exceeded google drive – How to fix
- How to Secure Google Drive?
Now that you are well aware of how to restore Google Drive to previous date, you can revert to an older version that you like.
The steps are pretty easy to follow, so you can swiftly change the version of the file.
Hopefully, you will be able to view the files in the version that you wanted. All the Best
Shirley is a Content Creator. She has been in the industry for over 6 years now and has written on plathora of niches for different websites & blogs for various clients in the United States. She is here to bring you her expertise on Google Drive and help you understand more. Also, Shirley hopes to add meaning to what people read every day through her Google Drive tips and tricks.