Do you want to request edit access in Google Drive? If yes, you have stumbled upon the right webpage. In this article, we are going to tell you how to request edit access in the Google Drive folder.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
What do we know about Edit Access in the Google Drive
Whenever you sign up for a Google account, you receive 15 GB of cloud storage with this. This cloud storage can be used to store your emails, photos, and other files. To store your files, you can use Google Drive, the cloud storage solution from Google.
In my opinion, Google Drive is the best free cloud storage solution on the internet. It is the perfect solution for backup & sync and online collaboration.
You can use office tools offered by Google, such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and more, for free and invite your co-workers to contribute. Not only that, but you can also invite other people to a Google Drive folder, and they will be able to access files within that folder.
However, for that, you have to provide them edit access. Otherwise, they will only be able to see or download the files within that folder but cannot contribute. If you want them to contribute, you have to provide them the access to edit.
How to Provide Edit Access in Google Drive Folder
If you want to provide someone with edit access in the Google Drive folder, you have to follow these simple steps –
- Open the Google Drive app or go to drive.google.com.
- Sign in using your Google account credentials.
- Now, right-click on the Google Drive folder you want to share with others.
- Click on the Share option.
- A dialogue box will appear where you have to provide the email addresses of the people with whom you want to share that folder.
- After entering the email address, you will see a drop-down menu that will appear just below the gear icon. Click on it and select the Editor option.
- After that, you just have to click on the Send option to give those users permission to edit files and other things inside that shared folder.
That’s it. This is how you can provide edit access to someone in the Google Drive folder.
How to Request Edit Access in the Google Drive Folder
If you want to request edit access for a Google document, it is quite simple and easy. You just have to follow these simple steps –
- Open the file
- Click on the Request edit access
- You can add a note specifying why you need access to that file if you want. You can also skip this step as it is not necessary
- Click on the Send Request button
This will notify the owner that you have asked for edit access for the file. If he approves your request, you will be able to edit that file.
However, if you want to get edit permission for a folder, the only way is to contact the owner and ask them to give your editing access. There is no other way to request edit access in the Google Drive folder. There used to be an option for this, but Google Drive removed that option a while ago.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I allow others to edit my Google Drive?
It is quite easy to provide others the access to edit your Google Drive folder. You can simply follow the above-mentioned method for this.
2. Can I give someone access to my Google Drive?
Yes, you can give someone access to your Google Drive. There are two different ways to do that.
First, you can invite them to contribute to the folder, and for that, you have to follow these simple steps.
- Open Google Drive.
- Right-click on the folder that you want to share with others.
- Enter their email addresses.
- Click on the Send button.
This will give them access to your Google Drive folder.
Alternatively, you can simply right-click on the folder and select the Get Link option. You can specify what access you want them to have, such as Viewer, Editor, or Commentor, and simply copy the link and share it with them.
3. How do I manage permissions on Google Drive files?
To set permissions, you have to follow these simple steps –
- Open Google Drive.
- Select the file you want to manage permissions of.
- Right-click on the file and select the Share option.
- Choose to share the file with anyone with the link.
- Here, you get the option to manage permissions. You can select either Viewer, Editor, or Commentator.
- After that, copy the link and share it with people you want to have access to that file.
You are not able to upload files to a shared folder because you don’t have edit access. Contact the folder owner to provide you editor access, and after that, you will be able to upload files to that shared folder.
There you have it – a detailed article on how to request edit access in the Google Drive folder.
Google Drive is a great cloud storage platform, especially for online collaboration. However, unlike Google Docs or files, there is no official way to request to get edit access for the Google Drive folder.
The only possible way to get edit access to a Google Drive folder is by contacting the file owner and requesting them personally. This is one of the things that I don’t like much about Google Drive, but apart from that, it is really a great cloud storage solution.
You may like the following google drive tutorials:
- How to Delete PDF Files from Google Drive
- Google Drive vs Koofr – Which is Better?
- How to Copy a Folder in Google Drive
- Cannot Download Files from Google Drive
- How to Logout of Google Drive App
- Can’t Launch Drive for Desktop Error – How to Fix
Shirley is a Content Creator. She has been in the industry for over 6 years now and has written on plathora of niches for different websites & blogs for various clients in the United States. She is here to bring you her expertise on Google Drive and help you understand more. Also, Shirley hopes to add meaning to what people read every day through her Google Drive tips and tricks.