When we are using WhatsApp, we tend to have meaningful conversations that we want to store and backup. WhatsApp is not a cloud-messaging service, and hence that means your chat has a risk of being deleted if your local device has any problem.
So, to keep a backup of your conversations, WhatsApp provides you with a feature to backup the data in your google drive that enables you to access the lost data on your local device anytime. This can be done on both your google drive as well as iCloud.
Steps to take before Backing up Your WhatsApp
Before we start with backing up our conversation in our WhatsApp, we should make sure that these few requirements are fulfilled beforehand to ease the backup process.
- Log in to your Google Account on the phone to which the google drive will be linked. It is essential to have your account logged in with your credentials.
- Install Google Play on your phone to enable WhatsApp updates from the app store from time to time.
- There should be enough free space on the phone so that backup can be done without any problem regarding space.
- The internet connection you are using should be good and stable so that the backup process can be smooth and hindrance-free.
How to backup WhatsApp to Google drive from Android
In order to backup your WhatsApp conversation, you can use the following steps that are there to guide you through it-
- Firstly open WhatsApp on your cellular device.
- Then Go to the Options denoted as three vertical dots.
- Go to Settings
- Then click on Chats
- In that select Chat Backup
- Finally, go Back up to Google Drive. In this option, you will get options like
- Only when I tap “Back up.”
Among these options, you can select any option of your choice for backup except Never.
- After that, you will get the option to choose an account that you wish to use to back up your data. For this:
- Either choose the account already showing.
- Or, if you want to choose some other account, you can tap to Add account and add another account that you wish to by login in with your credentials.
- Lastly, in order to choose the network for backup, you can tap to Back up.
How to backup WhatsApp to Google drive from Android– Manually
If you have not chosen a frequency for the backup of your WhatsApp data on google drive, you can also do it anytime manually as and when you want by yourself. For that, you have to follow the following process-
- Firstly you have to open your WhatsApp.
- Then go to settings
- In settings, click on the Chats option.
- Go to Chat backup.
- Then click on Back Up.
How to backup WhatsApp to Google drive from iPhone
In iPhone, we have an iCloud option for backup, but we can also use google drive for WhatsApp backup for more safe storage for preventing the further risk of loss of data.
This is not a direct process and you may need to have an Android phone to transfer your data to Google drive. Let us see how to backup WhatsApp to google drive from iPhone–
Step 1– Transfer and Backup to Laptop
Firstly you have to transfer and backup the WhatsApp conversation from your iPhone to your computer. For this, you can follow the following steps.
- You have to download “Mobile Trans” on your computer. After downloading, you have to install it and start launching.
- Once the launch has begun, the iPhone needs to be connected to the computer for starting the transfer.
- In the Mobile Trans screen, there will appear “WhatsApp Transfer,” and you have to select it.
- On the left side, there are many options from which to choose WhatsApp.
- In that option, choose “Backup WhatsApp messages.”
- After WhatsApp is detected on your computer, click on Start.
- This will work on the backup process and create the backup.
Also, read Google Drive File stream not Working
Step 2– Move your WhatsApp data from Laptop to Android
Secondly, after transferring the WhatsApp conversation from iPhone to your computer, you have to move it to an Android phone. For this, follow the steps-
- Launch the Mobile Trans app on your computer.
- Then connect the android phone with your computer.
- After this, select the option “WhatsApp Transfer” and choose “Restore to Device.”
- Select the backups you want to restore and click on start.
- This will then transfer the backup from iPhone to Android device.
Step 3– Backup WhatsApp Chats to Google Drive
Finally, you can take a backup from android device to google drive by following the steps given, which are similar to the regular back up process from android device to google drive-
- Firstly open WhatsApp on an android device
- Go to settings
- Select chats
- Click on chat backup
- Choose the option Back up to Google Drive and select the option you want.
- Then choose the account you want to backup in.
Thus by following the above process, even the WhatsApp data from iPhone can also be used to take backup on google drive.
You may like:
- How to Upload Large Files to Google Drive
- How to see who has Viewed a Google Doc
- How to Add Google Drive to Finder
- How To Select Multiple Files On Google Drive
- How to Share Videos on Google Drive
It is essential to backup WhatsApp data from our local device to our google device as we know it since WhatsApp is not a cloud message service. It means the data can be deleted from our local machine due to any reason, and it will cause us to lose the data. Backing up on google drive can minimize the risk of losing data, and we can access them anytime.
We have to take care of some of the prior requirements of the backup process so we can begin our process with ease. You can back up our WhatsApp data from our android phone directly to google drive. Or you can also transfer the WhatsApp data from iPhone to google drive.
As mentioned above, simply follow the process and secure the data on google drive safely from any android phone. For transfer from the iPhone to Google drive, we have to go through three steps.
You can also check out process to recover permanently deleted Photos from Google Drive.
Firstly, transferring the backup data from your iPhone to your computer. Then share this backup from your laptop to your android phone. From this android phone, make our backup on google drive. All the processes have been given above to guide you through both ways of backup. Here we cover:
- How to backup WhatsApp to google drive
- How to backup WhatsApp to google drive on iphone
- Backup WhatsApp to google drive on android
- How to backup WhatsApp to google drive on pc
- How to backup WhatsApp to google drive in ios
Kanika Modi is a Content Creator. She has been in the industry for over 6 years now and have written on plathora of niches for different websites & blogs. She is here to bring you her expertise on Google Drive and help you understand more. Also, Kanika hopes to add meaning to what people read everyday through her Google Drive tips and tricks.