Lately, a lot of users like yourself have had this query as to why is Google Drive randomly deleting files. Well, there could be a multitude of reasons such as bugs, errors, or any new policy by the Google Drive team. To help you understand everything better, we have this guide with all the info.
For starters, you can always check out the deleted files in the trash folder before proceeding with anything else here. If your files are accidentally deleted, they are most likely to end up in the trash or bin.
Moreover, speaking more on the causes of this event, your files could have been missing from your Drive because they might have gotten corrupted.
It may sound out of place but you never know which of your files might be corrupted. There is no particular answer to this question but surely, we do have certain options that you can try to get back those files.
Google Drive Randomly Deleting Files- What to do?
1. Check your Trash Folder
As we discussed, all the files that are generally deleted, land up in the trash folder. Even if you have mistakenly deleted the files, they will still be available. Google has already introduced its new regulations.
All the files in the Bin folder will get deleted permanently after a period of 30 days. So, make sure you restore any file you wish before the clock runs out of time.
Here is how you can access the Bin or Trash Folder.
- Open the official Google Drive website.
- Log in to your Google Account to get access.
- Now, on the right side, head over to the Bin option.
- Click on it.
- Head over to the file you want to restore and make a Right-Click.
- Choose Restore.
If by any chance you do not find the files that have been missing, it is most likely because it has been already deleted and there is no way you can get them back.
2. Backup Your Files
Since your files are already nowhere to be found. It is high time you take necessary precautions and simply backup all your files to your system.
Moreover, a lot of users are already using the Google Drive for Desktop software on their system to backup all their Google Drive files.
In order to make sure that you no longer fall in the pit of the issue “Google Drive Randomly Deleting Files”, this is the need of the hour.
Here is how you can download and install the software and backup all the files.
- Open the official Downloading site for Google Drive for Desktop.
- Download the software.
- Now, double click on the GoogleDrive.pkg file on the screen.
- Install the software on your system by following the steps on the screen.
- Open Google Drive and tap on Sign in with Browser.
- Login to your desired Google Account to backup files.
From here on, you can either choose the files you wish to backup on the system, or you can keep auto-update on so that all your files are also available on the system as well once they get uploaded on the Drive.
3. Google Drive Randomly Deleting Files- Contact Admin Console
Now, this particular method is only for those who use G-Suite. Yes, if you are a student or any other individual using a company account with other members, all the files can be restored by contacting the Google Admin Console.
It is believed that all the files deleted from the G-Suite Account can be restored within 25 days of being deleted.
Here is how you can do it if you have access to the Admin Console.
- Log in to your account with Admin privileges.
- Now, look for the Apps section and click on it.
- Choose Google Workspace from multiple apps.
- Now, click on Drive and Docs.
- Further, tap on Manage shared drives.
- Choose the Shared Drive you wish to restore and click the Restore button.
- Now, select the range of the data and select Restore Data.
Now, all your files will be back to you that were accidentally lost. Yet again, if you do not find the files in the bin, they might have been deleted permanently after which you cannot restore it back.
Check out, How to Save Link to Google Drive
4. Contact Customer Support
Finally, if nothing seems to work out on the issue of Google drive keeps deleting my files, your last option is to simply leave a query with customer support. It is very likely that you will get a response within 24 hours of submitting the request.
It is not sure if you will get your files since Google might not have it saved with them in any manner. However, you can always let the team know about the issue to prevent it from further happening.
Related Google Drive articles:
- How to add Google Drive to File Explorer
- Google Drive Keeps Going Offline – How to fix
- How to Recover Deleted Files From Google Drive
- Google Drive vs OneDrive – Which one offers better Services?
- How to enable Google Drive Dark Mode on your smartphones
Things can get frustrating in these situations when you have relied heavily on such tech giants for keeping your file safe. The issue of Google Drive Randomly Deleting Files might be huge since a lot of users have had the same error for a few months now.
The best direction to go from here is only to take the necessary precautions such as mentioned in the guide where you must keep a backup of all your files. If at all you are stuck here, you can let us know in the comment section below and we will get back to you.
Shirley is a Content Creator. She has been in the industry for over 6 years now and has written on plathora of niches for different websites & blogs for various clients in the United States. She is here to bring you her expertise on Google Drive and help you understand more. Also, Shirley hopes to add meaning to what people read every day through her Google Drive tips and tricks.