Google is a big company that owns several products and services accessible to us on the internet. Once you set a profile picture, google uses it in all its products, including Gmail, Google drive, google play, google meet, and YouTube.
Everyone that interacts with you on the Google platform can see your profile picture, and it looks the same on all websites run by google.
Google drive avatar is the display picture visible once your profile is displayed. An avatar can be defined as a small picture that represents a user on any platform. Moreover, the google drive avatar or profile picture is displayed on your drive and all its daughter applications.
It is displayed in different sizes depending on the Google Drive app in use and the device being used.
What Should Your Avatar Look Like?
Your Google drive profile picture should be impactful and straightforward, with minimal effects and props. Avoid using too many filters and frills on your google drive profile picture and ensure the focus of the image is you.
When selecting the right image to update on your google drive profile, keep the following things in mind;
- Use a high-quality and clear image of yourself.
- Look for the most recent image to update your profile picture.
- Ensure the image you select is a professional one and not an image from your latest trip or vacation.
- Consider using an image with a dark background to ensure the focus is on you and the image is highlighted across platforms.
The above-listed points will help you select the correct image, which will create an impact at first glance for your google drive profile.
How To Update your Google Drive Profile Picture
The process to change your profile picture on Google Drive is simple and quick for you to undertake. Also, the avatar can be updated both through your desktop or mobile device on the Google Drive mobile app.
Both processes are not complicated and are very similar. Below are the steps you need to follow to change your Profile Picture on Google Drive.
- On your desktop, open Google Drive or any other Google application.
- Click on the current existing profile picture. The current avatar is usually displayed at the top right corner of your google drive app and any other Google application.
- Click on the current image, there should be a ‘camera’ icon beside it.
- Click on the camera icon to open a pop-up window. The pop-up window allows you to select or upload a new image for the new profile picture.
- You can choose your preferred option of updating your profile picture. You can upload a new photo from your computer or use one of the images already in your drive.
- Select the image you wish to upload as your new avatar
- After selecting your preferred image option, a new window is displayed
- You can crop, position, and adjust your new selected image to fit best in the google drives profile picture dimensions on the next window displayed.
- After resizing your new image to fit the dimensions best, click on ‘set as the Profile photo.’
Your google drive profile picture will be successfully changed to the new image. The new image will also be updated and reflect across all google applications in a few minutes.
How to change your Google profile picture
Changing your google profile picture means that the effect will be felt across all its applications, including the drive. Without accessing your google drive application, this could be another route to take to achieve a new profile picture.
Below are the simple steps to follow to change your profile picture on Google;
- Open your google homepage and log into your account if you are not already logged in.
- At the top-right corner is your current profile picture. First, click on it, then click on the camera icon underneath it.
- A ‘select profile photo’ menu appears.
- The menu offers you the option to select a photo from your computer by browsing files or dragging a photo into the window from your computer.
- After selecting your photo of choice, upload it and resize it to fit the dimensions of a google profile picture.
- Click the “Set as profile photo” option at the bottom-left corner of your window.
The new profile picture will be updated and changed across all Google applications, including Google drive.
How to Change your Profile Picture on Google Drive Android and iPhone?
The easiest and best way to change your profile picture on Google Drive Android and iPhone devices is through your Gmail app. However, the new profile picture shall be updated across all google applications, including google drive.
Here’s how to change your profile picture on google using the Gmail app;
For Android users:
- Launch your Gmail application and log in if you are not already logged in
- Click on your profile photo
- Select the ‘Manage your google account’ option
- Select personal info on the Google account page.
- Go to the profile section and click the current profile picture.
- Select ‘set profile photo.’
- In the next step, you have the option to take a new photo or choose an existing photo and set it as the new profile picture
For iPhone users:
- Launch your Gmail application and log in.
- Tap on the three lines icon, which opens up a menu, and select settings.
- Select ‘manage your Google account’ then choose ‘personal info.’
- Click on your current profile picture in the profile section and select ‘set profile picture.’
- You can choose the option of taking a new picture. Click on ‘take the photo’ and choose OK. Click ‘use photo’ after your done taking the new photo
- You can also upload an image from your camera roll. Click ‘choose from photos’, select the picture of your choice and tap ‘choose.’
Also, you will have successfully changed your profile picture across all your Google applications.
Why is it important to update your profile picture?
Have you ever thought about the importance of having a profile picture and what it tells about you? Below are some of the reasons why you need to have an updated profile picture.
1. It Shows that the Account is real
Having an updated profile picture of yourself personalizes and indicates that your account is active and authentic. Conversely, using a generic photo or image may cause people to think that the account is dormant or fake
2. Helps Others Recognize You
An updated profile picture helps a lot with recognition, hence why you need to update it with a current photo of yourself. Moreover, it helps people connect your face to your name while transacting or sharing information with you on your account.
It also makes it easy for people to share documents with you on google drive as it assures them they are sending it to you and not someone else. A profile picture on google drive, for example, will build some level of confidence with your acquaintances.
3. Your profile photo is your personal Brand
Your profile photo gives people a clue of your personality. Therefore, it is essential to think about the message you want to pass over to people when selecting a profile picture.
Do you want to come out as authoritative and serious or friendly and cheerful to the people you interact with on the platform? Consider these aspects before uploading a profile picture because it shall represent your personal brand.
4. Makes the first impression
For people that don’t know you, your profile picture makes the first impression about you. If your profile photo oozes positive energy and feelings, approach and interactions from other people may be much easier.
Moving on, if your profile photo does not portray you as likable and approachable, it may initially pose some difficulty with your online interactions.
How often should you change your profile picture?
You may be wondering how long you should wait to update your profile picture on google drive. Well, how often you change it is ultimately up to you.
Everyone has unique personal factors that make the timing difference. However, you don’t want to change your profile picture every so often, as it may sacrifice your ‘branding’ and consistency.
On the other hand, changing it too infrequently may portray dormancy, and you may also end up with a picture that doesn’t represent how you currently look.
Furthermore, find a timing that works best for you and maintains the balance between the two.
What to consider when selecting your profile picture
Here are some factors to consider when settling for the best image to update your profile picture.
- Select a current photo, say from the past year, or make a new one.
- Ensure the photo portrays what you look like in real life
- The photo should also reflect your personality genuinely
- It should also highlight some of your best qualities to create the best impression
- Avoid using filters and fillers on your profile photo.
You may like the following tutorials:
- How to backup Quickbooks to Google Drive
- Cannot Download Files from Google Drive
- How to Logout of Google Drive App
- How to Create Shortcuts in Google Drive
Following the steps discussed above should help you change your profile picture on google drive successfully.
I have a small business in Florida, USA and for my business, I use popular Google products like Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheet, etc. So, I thought of sharing my expertise on Google Drive through these Google Drive tutorials. Enjoy the Google Drive Tips and Tricks.