Ever since Google Drive has upgraded its Backup and Sync application to Drive for Desktop, multiple users have been reporting some errors. While the change has been welcomed by users on most occasions, we cannot ignore the errors and bugs. Well, while launching the app on the laptop, you might have got the error “Can’t Launch Drive for Desktop”.
There could be multiple reasons for such an event and no one know for sure. However, we can try out some basic methods in order to fix the error. Just make sure you have a proper internet connection and all your apps are updated since that could be one of the major reasons that you are simply unaware of.
Let us look at all the fixes for the Can’t Launch Drive for Desktop Error.
How to Fix Can’t Launch Drive for Desktop Error
1. Run Google Drive as an Administrator
To start with, you can try relaunching the app. But it will not be the usual way by double-clicking on it. Rather, you need to run it as an administrator. Also, make sure you do have admin access to give such permission to the application.
Here is how you can run Google Drive as an administrator on your Windows laptop.
- Tap on Start and type Google Drive.
- Now, make a right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator.
- Choose Yes on your screen to confirm.
Now, your Google Drive for Desktop app will launch on your system. This will allow the app to gain all the permissions and thus work properly without any errors.
2. Force Quit Google Drive
Another method you can try is simply trying to quit the app forcefully and then trying to open it again. There are times when no matter what but you will not be able to close the tab whether it is on your MacBook or Windows.
Hence, in such situations, you will have to force quit or End the Task to fix the error. Here is how you can do it.
- Click on Start and type Task Manager.
- Now tap on it to open the manager.
- Under the Process section, scroll down and look for Google Drive.
- Make a right-click on it and select End Task
Or else you can simply tap on it and click on End Task at the bottom of the window screen. As soon as you do it, the app will immediately close and then you can try opening it again.
- Go to Dock at the bottom of the desktop.
- Move your mouse pointer at it and make a two-finger tap.
- At the bottom of the list of options, click on Force Quit
This process will also quit the app forcefully and end all the functions running in the background. From here, you can then either choose to directly start the app again or it is better to restart the laptop and then launch the app.
3. Reinstall Google Drive for Desktop
Another method you can try is by simply uninstalling and then reinstalling the app on your system. In this manner, you no longer will have to update the app and it might just do the job too. Here is how you can do it.
- Open Windows settings on your screen.
- Go to the Apps and Features section.
- Now, search for Google Drive and tap on it.
- Click on Uninstall.
Wait for the system to uninstall the app. Now, you can simply visit the official Drive for Desktop webpage and download the app again on your Windows PC.
How to Send FeedBack Report to Google Drive Team?
If you are still unable to launch Drive on your Desktop or even if you have, it is better to always provide feedback to the technical team.
Now, such an error report will allow the cloud storage platform to fix the bugs and ensure it is fixed such that no one else is affected by it.
You can follow the steps mentioned here in order to send a feedback report to the Google Drive Team.
- Open Drive for Desktop on your system.
- Now, click on the icon on the taskbar.
- Tap on the Settings icon on the top-right corner
- Choose the Send Feedback option from the list
- Type in your feedback about all the issues you have been facing and click on Submit.
If you have any diagnostics report, you can add that too along with the feedback and then submit it.
Can’t Load Account on Drive for Desktop- How to Fix
There could be a multitude of reasons that your account isn’t loading. Here are a few of them given below.
- You are not connected to an Internet Connection.
- Your Proxy settings are not allowing the app to run.
- Your App is not updated.
Now, let us see some ways to fix the errors.
- Check your internet connection and make sure it is stable.
- Reinstall Google Drive for Desktop
- Free up some Drive Space
- Switch off your Proxy to allow the app to function
- Log in again to your account
Related Google Drive tutorials:
- How To Share Google Drive Folders With Non-Gmail Users
- How do I open a word document directly in Google Drive?
- Google Drive Vs Google Docs – Overview & Comparison
- How to Change Your Profile Picture on Google Drive
- How to Hide a Folder in Google Drive
Here we are with everything we need to know on how you can choose to fix the can’t launch Drive for Desktop error. The most possible reason we could find for this error is proxy settings getting in the way. Also, your application might be corrupted. Hence it is important to ensure that you reinstall the software and login again will surely work.
To add more, such an error has mostly been found on Windows operating system hence if you are a mac user, you might be on the safe side for now. But in case, you face anything like this on your Macbook as well, the same steps can be applied and you can solve the errors likewise.
Make sure you follow the steps mentioned in the methods above so that you no longer have to visit other pages on the web. If at you are unable to find the right solution you can choose to reach out to the community support on the official Google support team.
Shirley is a Content Creator. She has been in the industry for over 6 years now and has written on plathora of niches for different websites & blogs for various clients in the United States. She is here to bring you her expertise on Google Drive and help you understand more. Also, Shirley hopes to add meaning to what people read every day through her Google Drive tips and tricks.